We are proud to advise our subscribers that our long standing Committee member Bob Handby has been made an Officer of the Order of Australia for his work with the Red Cross over more than two decades.
In that time he has helped people in war-torn Yugoslavia and Rwanda, as well as in disaster zones in Sierra Leone and Pakistan.
In his usual humble fashion he said he was surprised by the accolade. “There was a letter from the Governor there and I couldn’t believe it,” he said. “Obviously I found out it wasn’t a hoax, it was true, and it was an incredible honour. I’ve had some nice honours in the past but this certainly would sit at the top of the table.”
We salute Bob and would also like to thank him for all of the work he does for our community in addition to his incredible work for the Red Cross.
Bob Handby in action
The Port Fairy Folk Festival allocates surpluses achieved by the Festival to a grants program to support community programs and initiatives. In May 2018 the Port Fairy Folk Festival Committee awarded $100,000 to Moyne Health to contribute to the Urgent Care Building, and another $10,500 was distributed across the following programs; Illowa Community Recreation Reserve, Murray to Moyne Cycle Relay, Port Fairy Historical Services, Port Fairy Consolidated School and Port Fairy to Warrnambool Rail Trail Committee.
“We hope all people involved in the festival take pride in the great contributions the Festival is able to make to the broader community. Our Festival is a true celebration of excellence in the arts, capacity building and community spirit and is testament to the work of the volunteers, the artists and the incredible audience who have supported this event and our community focussed philosophy for more than 40 years,” said John Young, President, PFFF.
Exchange Program In Full Swing
At the 2018 Festival we announced that The Mission Songs Project were the inaugural recipients of our exchange program with Calgary Folk Festival. Next month The Mission Songs Project will take to the stage in Calgary and do us proud. Port Fairy is delighted to be working with Calgary Folk Festival, Canada, to showcase the outstanding and uniquely Australian talent that has been an intrinsic part of our festival for more that 40 years. We have been working away to develop opportunities for Australian artists in Canada and soon we will delight in announcing the Canadian recipient of this program. Music is the finest way to share culture and stories and create long lasting friendships, and in a short time we have established this great exchange program with Calgary and Coastella Festival, New Zealand in recognition of the role Founding Director, Jamie McKew has played for over 40 years in the development of careers of Australian performing artists, and we are thrilled that we are able to work with like minded organisations across the globe and expand the great work of Port Fairy well in to the future.
“The Mission Songs Project are thrilled to be the inaugural recipients of the exchange program with Port Fairy and Calgary Folk Festivals. This program has given us the opportunity to perform in Canada for the first time and we are honoured to be representing Port Fairy in this Ambassadorial capacity, and we thank Port Fairy Folk Festival for establishing this program, and what a great way to recognise the amazing contributions of Jamie McKew. We will spread the word far and wide about the wonderful festival that is Port Fairy!” – Jessie Lloyd, The Mission Songs Project.
The NZ exchange artists in 2018 were Jordie Lane (AUS) and Frank Burkitt (NZ).
Performer applications 2019
In addition to working with our Northern Hemisphere friends, the program office has delighted in reviewing the artist applications that have been flooding in. Artist applications close at midnight on 20 June so if there is a twinkle in your eye and you would like to throw your hat in the ring to be considered for 2019 there is only two weeks to go.
The Program Team x
- 13/06/2018 – Top honours to Bob Handby, Port Fairy & Calgary Folk Festival Exchange inaugural recipients, 2018 Grants announced & more
- 02/05/2018 – Port Fairy Folk Festival Community grants now open
- 24/04/2018 – Performer Applications for 2019 open 1 May
- 21/03/2018 – 42nd Festival a great success
- 08/03/2018 – Excitement brewing regarding opening and program change for 2018
- 06/03/2018 – Exclusive to Port Fairy 2018 When Folk Changed The World, Exile & Harry Manx with the WSO Octet
- 28/02/2018 – Governor Of Victoria to Open the 42nd Port Fairy Folk Festival
- 20/02/2018 – Warrnambool Festival Bus & Folkie Trivia
- 15/02/2018 – Third release early bird tickets close midnight tonight
- 13/02/2018 – Fairy Tale line-up announced
- 07/02/2018 – Exile – Songs & Tales of Irish Australia
- 01/02/2018 – 37 DAYS TO GO!
- 30/01/2018 – Emerging Artist of the Year & Venue House Rules & Etiquette
- 23/01/2018 – Artists Of The Year & Two special presentations of On The Couch with Brian Nankervis
- 01/17/2018 – Happy New Year & Workshop Program Announced
- 12/20/2017 – Archie Roach to launch Dancing With My Spirit & Warrnambool Shuttle Service
- 12/13/2017 – Geoffrey Robertson to speak at the 2018 Port Fairy Folk Festival
- 12/08/2017 – 2018 Finding A Voice forums, workshops and celebrating inclusion
- 12/07/2017 – 2018 Women Out Loud line-up announced Early Bird Tickets close midnight 8 December
- 12/06/2017 – 2018 Writers Program & Visual Arts… Early Bird Tickets On Sale until midnight 8 December.
- 12/04/2017 – Founding Director Jamie McKew reminisces on 40 years of PFFF
- 11/29/2017 – Doug Anthony Allstars join the 2018 lineup. Early Bird tickets on sale until 8 December.
- 11/23/2017 – Early Bird tickets on sale until 8 December & more artists & workshops
- 11/17/2017 – The Fairy Tale of Port Fairy & Early Bird Tickets Close 8 December
- 11/15/2017 – Implementing your feedback to make a better Port Fairy Folk Festival in 2018
- 10/24/2017 – Tex, Don & Charlie for two special concerts, plus more!
- 10/18/2017 – The Shebeen Program 2018, Archie Roach, Jordie Lane & The Sleepers & Stella Donnelly join the bill
- 10/16/2017 – Tent City – or should that be Hamlet? Comes to Port Fairy
- 10/11/2017 – Melbourne Ska Orchestra and Scotland’s Breabach lead the next wonderful wave
- 10/09/2017 – Mick Thomas, Jamie McKew & calling all instrument makers
- 10/05/2017 – Calling regional artists – Win the chance to play at the festival with ABC Radio
- 09/28/2017 – The Port Fairy Spotlight Sessions – special subscriber offer
- 09/27/2017 – Exclusive Events & sneaky leak
- 09/19/2017 – More artists and events announced and limited Early Bird Tickets still available