It is with great pleasure that we present in 2020 two exceptional events that revisit key historical moments in Australia’s Settler history. In true folk tradition they tell stories that cross the elements of the human condition.
In keeping with our location on the great Ship Wreck Coast of Victoria, we present Hell Ship: The Journey of the Ticonderoga, by acclaimed and much loved artist Michael Vietch. Michael takes you through the emotional and physical elements: A sea voyage, a tragedy and a love story. You will be taken on a journey of this almost forgotten chapter of Australia’s early maritime history. It is a tale of hardship and heroism; of survival and love, accompanied by a magnificent live music score.
Ned Kelly is the infamous Australian outlaw. Ashley Davies, one of Australia’s finest composers collaborated with the late Ian Jones, historian and author, regarded as a leading authority on the life an times of Ned Kelly, to create this outstanding multi media production. Since then, Ashley has collaborated with Derek Guille to reinvigorate this outstanding production which will feature a live narration with Derek, and Ashley has gathered some of Australia’s finest musicians to to join him perform the live music score, they are Michael Lewitt, Monique DiMattina, Rosie Westbrook and Shannon Bourne. This is an evocative retelling of the life of Australia’s best known folk legend, featuring archival images carefully drawn together, which combined with the music is nothing short of captivating.
Both of these events epitomise how the creative arts not only engage, but inform and leave you wanting to discover more.
Music, theatre, stories and more at your 2020 Port Fairy Folk Festival.
Early bird tickets on sale now.
To view ticket prices, please click here.
The Program Team. x
- 09/10/2019 – Special events. Hell Ship: The Journey of the Ticonderoga & Ned Kelly.
- 25/09/2019 – Rhiannon Giddens, Neil Murray, Grace Petrie, Sibusile Xaba and more announced
- 16/09/2019 – Our Celtic Connections
- 09/09/2019 – Dan Sultan, Kieran Kane & Rayna Gellert, The Little Stevies and more. Early Bird Full Festival and Two Day Tickets on sale now.
- 04/09/2019 – New Arena design and stage names. Hurry! Limited subscriber tickets still available.
- 02/09/2019 – First Nations – Songs and Stories at the 44th Port Fairy Folk Festival
- 29/08/2019 – Friends of the Festival volunteer applications open on Monday
- 21/08/2019 – 2020 Subscriber link – we have lift off!
- 15/08/2019 – International partnerships come to fruition in 2020 – FAI ExChange Geelong
- 13/08/2019 – 2020 sees limited Half Festival passes introduced
- 23/07/2019 – Meeting our waste reduction targets 2020 Subscriber tickets on sale 2 September & your chance to win a Maton Guitar
- 22/05/2019 – Artist applications for 2020 Close next week
- 01/05/2019 – MC & Stage Manager applications open
- 09/04/2019 – We value your input, and if you missed the 43rd Festival we are keen to hear from you.
- 03/04/2019 – Thank you, setting goals, lost property, competition winners & applications for 2020