Sketch artwork by Angela Williams – follow her at www.instagram.com/lunchsketch
Port Fairy Folk Festival today announced renowned Australian music programmer Justin Rudge as its new Program Director.
As a music professional who has successfully worked across multiple areas of the industry from festival and venue programming, tour promotion, artist management and a variety of community, government and industry projects, Justin Rudge was a stand out candidate for the committee.
Accepting the role, Justin said that he was truly honoured to be appointed the new Program Director of the world-famous Port Fairy Folk Festival.
‘To be only the third person to hold this position after founder Jamie McKew and most recently, the inspiring Caroline Moore, is a significant milestone in my career. I am looking forward to continuing the amazing musical, cultural and community traditions they have developed over the previous 44 years.
‘Like the dedicated and loyal festival audience, I share a passion for live music across many genres, and am so excited to bring my experience to such an iconic festival,’ said Justin.
Justin’s career began with booking and management at iconic live music venue, The Standard Hotel in Fitzroy, Melbourne. Since then he has developed a number of ventures worldwide and with a brilliant overview into the planning and development of local shows and festivals, as well as recording, tour logistics and management.
Justin has since expanded his work internationally, being involved in a variety of festivals and events including the Tonder Festival (Denmark), East Coast Music Association Conference (Canada), AmericanaFest (USA) & Americana UK (UK) internationally, as well as BigSound, Australian Music Week, Face The Music and AWME locally, right through to creative lead as music programmer for Echuca Winter Blues.
Justin will commence work on the 2021 program, collaborating with the volunteer committee, the artists, agents, managers, producers and stakeholders for the 45th Port Fairy Folk Festival.
‘While live music events worldwide face enormous challenges in the wake of the COVID-19 global crisis, I am excited to start planning next year’s festival and am confident we can face these challenges and provide the Port Fairy and folk communities with an unforgettable experience in 2021,’ said Justin.
Port Fairy Folk Festival President John Young said Justin’s experience and established career working in the live music industry provided an excellent platform for the Festival as it moves into a new event format following the impact of COVID-19.
‘We were very impressed with Justin’s background and solid experience in working with live music and festivals. Justin brings with him a wealth of experience, inspiration and ideas with community and folk music at the core. We are excited to be continuing the extraordinary work his predesecors, Jamie and Caroline, have done and are thrilled to be passing the baton onto Justin to deep dive into the planning of our world-renowned festival,’ said John.
Port Fairy Folk Festival Committee Inc.
- 01/06/2020 – Port Fairy Folk Festival announces new Program Director
- 25/05/2020 – Port Fairy Folk Festival 2021 and COVID-19
- 27/04/2020 – EOI sought for Program Director
- 21/04/2020 – 2021 Artist applications open and celebrating award winners 2020
- 21/03/2020 – 44th Port Fairy Folk Festival survey extended to 6:00pm Friday 27 March
- 20/03/2020 – 44th Port Fairy Folk Festival Survey
- 19/03/2020 – 44th Port Fairy Folk Festival Survey
- 12/03/2020 – The 44th Port Fairy Folk Festival …. it’s a wrap!
- 05/03/2020 – The Festival Starts Tomorrow
- 03/03/2020 – Opening Night of The ExChange & Lifetime Achievement Award a great start to a week of brilliance in regional Victoria
- 02/03/2020 – Port Fairy Folk Festival this week, Festival APP live, program update and expanded drinks & food menu
- 24/02/2020 – Shane Howard, Nick Charles, & more join The Seeger Session, plus new Bank St Busker Stage
- 20/02/2020 – Performers timetable, app, bus times & ticket collection
- 12/02/2020 – The Lonely Goth Exhibition, Other Voices, The Poets Brawl, Children’s Literature & so much more
- 06/02/2020 – Folk world gathers in Geelong en route to Port Fairy 2020
- 03/02/2020 – Hilary Harper to host a great session, Song Circles, Song Catchers & your chance to win a Maton guitar.
- 29/01/2020 – Workshops, Original Tunes Muster, Yoga & Walking Tours
- 24/01/2020 – FAI & Port Fairy Folk Festival present The ExChange Boutique Conference in Geelong
- 23/01/2020 – The Seeger Session, Women Out Loud, Candlelight Concert, Meet The Guests & more shine in 2020
- 21/01/2020 – The Unusual Commoners join the line up and Other Voices special event & Writers Program
- 14/01/2020 – 2020 Is The Year of Scotland
- 08/01/2020 – Port Fairy Folk Festival supporting BlazeAid
- 18/12/2019 – Early bird tickets on sale until 31 December & more announcements
- 12/12/2019 – Festival Choir 2020: Black Fella White Fella,Solid Rock (Puli Kunpungka) and so much more
- 10/12/2019 – International Folk Music Conference & Jamie McKew Lifetime Achievement Award
- 05/12/2019 – Announcing the 2020 Artists Of The Year
- 26/11/2019 – Port Fairy Folk Festival and East Coast Music Association working in partnership.
- 21/11/2019 – Early Bird 2 day tickets have all gone. Limited Early Bird full festival tickets still available. Full price two day tickets on sale now.
- 20/11/2019 – The Shebeen – a festival in itself.
- 14/11/2019 – Flacco & Sandman Folk Quiz maestros 2020, Teeny Tiny Stevies, YolanDa’s Music Train and more.
- 12/11/2019 – The Guitarists concert announced and all ticket holders in the mix to win a Maton Guitar
- 07/11/2019 – Performance days announced for the 2020 Port Fairy Folk Festival plus Warrnambool Festival Bus
- 22/10/2019 – Things Of Stone & Wood 30th Anniversary, Judith Owen & Harry Shearer
- 09/10/2019 – Special events. Hell Ship: The Journey of the Ticonderoga & Ned Kelly.
- 25/09/2019 – Rhiannon Giddens, Neil Murray, Grace Petrie, Sibusile Xaba and more announced
- 16/09/2019 – Our Celtic Connections
- 09/09/2019 – Dan Sultan, Kieran Kane & Rayna Gellert, The Little Stevies and more. Early Bird Full Festival and Two Day Tickets on sale now.
- 04/09/2019 – New Arena design and stage names. Hurry! Limited subscriber tickets still available.
- 02/09/2019 – First Nations – Songs and Stories at the 44th Port Fairy Folk Festival
- 29/08/2019 – Friends of the Festival volunteer applications open on Monday
- 21/08/2019 – 2020 Subscriber link – we have lift off!
- 15/08/2019 – International partnerships come to fruition in 2020 – FAI ExChange Geelong
- 13/08/2019 – 2020 sees limited Half Festival passes introduced
- 23/07/2019 – Meeting our waste reduction targets 2020 Subscriber tickets on sale 2 September & your chance to win a Maton Guitar
- 22/05/2019 – Artist applications for 2020 Close next week
- 01/05/2019 – MC & Stage Manager applications open
- 09/04/2019 – We value your input, and if you missed the 43rd Festival we are keen to hear from you.
- 03/04/2019 – Thank you, setting goals, lost property, competition winners & applications for 2020