The Port Fairy Folk Festival has attracted more than 500 international acts in its 41-year history.
We’re convinced that it’s not just the chance to be a part of one of Australia’s most iconic music festivals that lures them here – it’s probably got a lot to do with the location itself.
You might be familiar with the Folk Festival, but there’s more to this little village than just seriously great music.
Here are our top 10 things to do in Port Fairy.
- Walk Griffiths Island. This lovely, 30-minute walk takes in protected beaches, the historic lighthouse and the Moyne River precinct. You’re highly likely to see the resident wallabies and, if you’re lucky, a pod of dolphins swimming just offshore.
- Hit the beach. Port Fairy is renowned for its sandy white beaches. East Beach is regularly patrolled by local Surf Life Saving Club members, whilst the protected lagoon Pea Soup at the south of the village is particularly popular with young families.
- Step back in time. Port Fairy is dotted with historic buildings and old whalers’ cottages, many of which are National Trust-registered. You might also take in Battery Hill, established in 1887 to protect the town from foreign warships, or the historic Port Fairy cemetery. Pop into the local Visitor Information Centre for a walking tour map.
- Do coffee. Or lunch. Or dinner. For a small village, Port Fairy punches well above its weight when it comes to food and dining. From casual cafes through to “hatted” restaurants, there is a smorgasbord of opportunity!
- Swing a club. Most serious golfers will already be well aware of Port Fairy’s 18-hole natural links course. It’s listed in the top 100 courses in Australia, after all.
- Watch the mutton birds arrive home. Port Fairy’s Griffith Island is home to a protected colony of mutton birds, or short-tailed shearwaters. The birds are a spectacular sight as they arrive back to the burrows after a big day of fishing. Best viewed at dusk each day over summer until about April when they leave on their annual Pacific migration.
- Indulge in some retail therapy. Explore boutiques and speciality stores, the likes of which you’ll not find elsewhere. Need we say more?
- Get arty. Port Fairy boasts a dynamic and vibrant arts community There are several galleries throughout the village, most of which are owned and operated by local artists.
- Go to market. There are several markets held in Port Fairy throughout the year, including a regular farmers’ market and, during the busier summer tourist season, art and craft markets.
- Get festive! No matter what your musical taste, Port Fairy is likely to have a festival to suit you! These include the Winter Weekends, Spring Music Festival, Jazz Festival and, of course, the iconic Port Fairy Folk Festival (tickets on sale now)!